Current Openings - Job Detail
JOB BANK ENTRY
LIBRARIAN I - Full-Time
LOCATION: Learning Center
Opens: 02/20/2017 Closes: 03/06/2017
This is a professional library position requiring knowledge of library principles, practices and policies; attention to detail; sound judgment; strong communications skills; and some supervisory experience. The position involves performing a wide range of professional library work including but not limited to public service and collection management. Work is reviewed through conferences and on the basis of results achieved. Works under the general guidance and direction of the head of the department.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS
- Reports to head of the department.
- May supervise one or more employees.
- Assists the head of the department in the identification and acquisition of books and media for the department.
- Performs public service including in person, telephone, mail, fax, and e-mail queries.
- Assists the head of the department with the daily administration of the department and its staff.
- Prepares and presents programs highlighting the Arts/Literature/Sports collection to classes, tours and organizations.
- Participates in committees/work groups as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service skills and ability to establish cordial and effective relationships with associates and patrons
- Knowledge of and experience with computers and various computer software applications, peripherals, online databases, online searching, social networking and the Internet.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, procedures and techniques of collection management of Library materials.
- Knowledge of subject areas in the arts and literature.
- Ability to direct the work of nonprofessional staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Ability to establish and maintain cordial and productive relationships with staff and public.
- A strong commitment to public service supported by excellent customer service skills.
- Self motivation to learn new skills and the ability to adapt to a changing work environment is essential.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience preparing public programs.
- Experience writing, administering or participating in grant-funded projects.
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist, turn and move materials in the library; ability to lift moderate weight up to 50 pounds in the handling of library materials; ability to push carts, bins and book trucks loaded with library materials weighing up to 100 pounds; ability to tolerate dust and molds.
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university, plus a master’s degree in library science. Background check is required.
80 hours biweekly, Grade 22, with a starting annual salary of $41,454.40 to $64,188.80. All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs. Vacation and sick leave; group medical and dental coverage; life insurance; pension plan; and 12 paid annual holidays.
METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/) for an application. The application will be forwarded to the Birmingham Public Library Personnel Officer. Library employees need not go through the Alabama Career Center but can submit applications directly to the Library Personnel Office. A resume must be submitted prior to the interview. Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Birmingham Public Library. Position available immediately.
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
Equal Opportunity Employer