Current Openings - Job Detail
JOB BANK ENTRY
LIBRARY ASSISTANT I (PAGE), PART TIME (30 hours Bi-weekly)
LOCATION: East Ensley
Opens: 11/21/14 Closes: 12/2/14 JOB SUMMARY
This is an entry level position requiring attention to detail, the physical ability to stand for long periods of time and the ability to push carts and bins loaded with materials weighing up to 100 pounds. Work involves the shelving of books and other materials; maintaining the proper order of shelved materials; and the retrieval of requested materials. Works under the general guidance and direction of the department head, branch manager, or designee. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Position reports to the assigned department head, branch manager, or designee.
- Sorts books and other library materials.
- Shelves books and other materials in their proper location with speed and accuracy.
- Reads shelves to assure that books and other materials have been properly re-shelved.
- Retrieves material from book returns.
- Uses computers to access information for staff or patrons.
- Performs library housekeeping tasks such as inspecting library materials for damage, dusting shelves, watering plants, changing displays, mending materials and other duties.
- Performs related work as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service skills and ability to establish cordial and effective relationships with associates and patrons.
- Knowledge of and experience with computers and various computer software applications, peripherals, online databases, online searching and the Internet.
- Knowledge of books and library operations.
- Ability to work with minimum instruction and supervision.
- Ability to stand the majority of work shift and reach library materials at high and low levels (overhead and floor level).
- Ability to read and understand information from a PC monitor.
- Ability to sort and file alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to function calmly and effectively during stressful situations.
- Ability to operate standard library equipment such as copiers, fax machines, audio visual equipment, computers, and offer assistance to patrons with using equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and orally.
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist, turn and move materials in the library; ability to lift moderate weight up to 50 pounds in the handling of library materials; ability to push carts, bins and book trucks loaded with library materials weighing up to 100 pounds. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from, or current enrollment in high school. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. High school graduate or equivalent preferred. Background check is required. BENEFITS
30 hours biweekly, Grade 7, Step 1-$9.24 per hour. All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs. METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/) for an application. The application will be forwarded to the Birmingham Public Library Personnel Officer. Library employees need not go through the Alabama Career Center but can submit applications directly to the Library Personnel Office. Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Birmingham Public Library. Position available immediately. This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.