For immediate release Friday, October 23, 2015
CONTACT: Roy L. Williams, Director of Public Relations
Birmingham Public Library
Phone: (205) 226-3746 cell (205) 568-0067
Classic Horror Movies, Family Halloween Carnival: Birmingham Public Library to Celebrate Halloween with Week of Activities Beginning Saturday
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama—From showing classic horror movies at Central Library and a family Halloween carnival at Springville Road Regional Branch Library to candy giveaways on Saturday, October 31, the Birmingham Public Library System will celebrate the spooky holiday in many of its 19 locations over the coming week.
Activities will begin with six hours of classic horror movies at Central Library, 2100 Park Place in downtown Birmingham, beginning at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 24. Attendees will receive free popcorn, drinks, and other snacks.
According to Lance Simpson, system teen librarian, the movie showings are as below:
- 11:00 a.m. - Dracula, the original 1931 Universal Pictures version starring Bela Lugosi.
- 1:00 p.m. - Frankenstein, the original 1931 Universal Pictures version starring Boris Karloff.
- 2:45 p.m. - The Wolfman, the original 1941 Universal Pictures version starring Lon Chaney, Jr.
Other Halloween-related activities planned next week are as follows (Note - Besides these listed, several other Birmingham Public Library locations will be giving away candy on Halloween day):
Central Library, 2100 Park Place
Springville Road Branch Library, 1224 Springville Road
- Monday, October 26, 6:00-7:30 p.m., Spooky Storytime in the Youth Department Story Castle on the second floor.
North Birmingham Branch Library
- Monday, October 26, 6:00 p.m., Family Halloween Carnival (for all ages) - There will be games, prizes, crafts, and candy given away. Costumes are encouraged.
- Monday, October 26, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Coffee, Conversation, and Crafts (for adults) - Participants will make Halloween luminaries.
- Saturday, October 31, All Day Halloween Trick Or Treat - Candy will be given away in all departments.
, 2501 31st Ave. North
Pratt City Branch Library, 509 Dugan Ave.
- Monday, October 26, 6:00 p.m., Got to Dance - Kids of all ages are invited to participate in this group event. There will be Halloween and spooky music.
- Tuesday, October 27, 4:00 p.m., Grubdown (for kids of all ages) - Pet the pets and watch them eat. Will include all of the library’s animals and the branch tarantula, Charlotte.
- Wednesday, October 28, 4:00 p.m., Tweens and Scary Books.
- Thursday, October 29, 10:30 a.m., Storytime Stew - Stories, songs, and fun prepared for the young folks.
- Thursday, October 29, 4:00 p.m., Spooky Tales around the Library.
- Saturday, October 31, Halloween Trick-Or-Treating all day, 9 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Avondale Branch Library, 509 40th Street South
- October 26-31, 2015, 3:30-5:30 p.m., What's Brewing At Your Library? Win A Halloween Surprise - Receive an entry from the librarian and name the spooky characters from the various stories.
- Registration October 26-29, 2015, Let's Get Ready For Some Football! - When you check out a book, register for a chance to win a ticket to the Magic City Classic played on Saturday, October 31, 2015.
- Friday and Saturday, October 30-31, 3:00-5:45 p.m., Trick or Treating - Receive your trick-or-treat-candy on Friday and Saturday when you wear your Halloween costume to the Pratt City Library.
Ensley Branch Library, 1201 25th Street Ensley
- Monday, October 26, 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., Tot Time with Mrs. Eve: Happy Halloween! - Wear your Halloween costume and celebrate with not-so-scary stories and trick or treats in the library. Tot Time is geared for 2 to 4 year olds with an individual caregiver, no groups please. 24-hour advance registration required.
- Tuesday, October 27, 6:30 p.m., Avondale Library Family Fun Night: The Great Pumpkin Caper - Pumpkins come and pumpkins go…but a jack-o-lantern steals the show. Join us for a family fun night that is truly a pumpkin lover’s delight. No scary costumes please. 24-hour advance registration required.
- Thursday, October 29, 9:30 a.m., Time for Tales with Mrs. Eve - Calling all preschoolers…Celebrate Halloween with a morning filled with stories, songs, and lots of fun for everyone. Advance group registration appreciated.
Titusville Community Branch Library, #2 6th Avenue SW
- Monday through Thursday, October 26-29, What’s Your Guess? - Can you guess our pumpkin’s weight? The closest guess will win the pumpkin packed with oh so sweet surprises! Winner will be announced Thursday, October 29, at 3:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 27, 3:30 p.m., Spooky Science - It’s time to scare up some spooky science demonstrations. This show is full of bubbling, oozing, and gooeying experiments.
- Thursday, October 29, 3:30 p.m., Howl-O-Ween Movie Day - Come join in on the fun with a movie, popcorn, and eeri-sistable staff at the Ensley Library.
Eastwood Branch Library, 4500 Montevallo Road
- Tuesday, October 27, 10:00 a.m., Mrs. Eve will hold a special Halloween storytime for all ages.
Southside Branch Library, 1814 11th Ave. South
- Thursday, October 29, 10:45 a.m., Miss Eve will be delivering a Halloween-themed storytime for kids of all ages.
- Saturday, October 31, Trick Or Treating - Candy will be given away during library hours, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
West End Branch Library, 1348 Tuscaloosa Ave. SW
- Friday, October 30, 9:30-10:15 a.m., Pre-school storytime with a Halloween theme.
To register, call (205) 933-7776.
- Friday, October 30, and Saturday, October 31 - Giving away candy and activity sheets to kids during operating hours.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT BPL
For additional information about the programs and services of the Birmingham Public Library, visit our website at www.bplonline.org
and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter @BPL. The mission of Birmingham Public Library is to provide the highest quality library service to our citizens for life-long learning, cultural enrichment, and enjoyment. This system—with 19 locations and serving the community for 129 years—is one of the largest library systems in the southeast.