For immediate release, Thursday, March 31, 2016
CONTACT: Roy L. Williams
Director of Public Relations
Birmingham Public Library
Phone: Work (205) 226-3746
Cell (205) 568-0067
Jefferson County Library Contact: Pat Ryan
Public Libraries in Jefferson County
Phone: (205) 226-3615 work
BPL joins Public Libraries in Jefferson County in celebrating National Library Week April 10-16
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama –What can you do with a library card? Explore the fun ways to use your local library as the Birmingham Public Library (BPL) joins the Public Libraries in Jefferson County (JCLC) in celebrating National Library Week Sunday, April 10 through Saturday, April 16, 2016.
Is your library card worn out? Libraries in Birmingham and Jefferson County will be exchanging library cards for free that week, waiving the usual replacement cost of $3. All previous library cards are still valid at any of the 40 locations in Jefferson County.
National Library Week (April 10-16) celebrates the dynamic changes happening in today's libraries. This year's National Library Week theme, “Because Transformation is Essential to the Communities we Serve,” mirrors a multi-year public awareness campaign led by the American Library Association.
Designed to increase public awareness of the value, impact and services provided by libraries and library professionals, the Libraries Transform campaign showcases the critical role libraries play in communities across the country in today’s digital age.
Here are just some of the services provided by libraries in Birmingham and Jefferson County:
- With one card, you can borrow or return books, audio books, DVDs and music from 40 library locations throughout Jefferson County.
- Download eBooks and eAudiobooks from the BPL and Jefferson County library websites for free. Choose from the 34,660 new popular titles or classics in our collection straight to your eReader or smart device.
- Advance your career! Discover job searching tools, resources and computer classes.
- Ace that test with Learning Express Library test preparation for SAT, GRE, ACT, GED, police and fire exams, plus many more.
- Make the honor roll. Research homework topics in a wide variety of online databases.
- Get free live one-to-one online tutoring help – go to Homework Alabama @ PublicLibrariesInJC.org - available 3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. for academic subjects and 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. for Job Search Assistance.
- Start a family tradition – Read – Learn – Play for free at story time for babies on up.
- Curious? Join a book club. Adults have loads of fun at library programs too!
- Access free WiFI!
The popular annual $5 Fine Coupon will also be available for printing from the website PublicLibrariesInJC.org or pick one up at your local library. New services include online or telephone library card renewal and expiration dates have been extended from one to two years.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT BPL
For additional information about the programs and services of the Birmingham Public Library, visit our website at www.bplonline.org
and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter @BPL. The mission of Birmingham Public Library is to provide the highest quality library service to our citizens for life-long learning, cultural enrichment, and enjoyment. This system—with 19 locations and serving the community for 129 years—is one of the largest library systems in the southeast.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT Public Libraries in Jefferson County
The Public Libraries in Jefferson County, DBA Jefferson County Library Cooperative, Inc., is a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization that links the 40 public libraries throughout Jefferson County. These include 21 municipal libraries and the 19 locations of the Birmingham Public Library System. The mission of the Public Libraries in Jefferson County is to connect all citizens countywide by providing resources and community-building opportunities that inspire life-long learning. Visit our website at http://PublicLibrariesInJC.org