For immediate release, Friday, April 8, 2016
CONTACT: Roy L. Williams, Director of Public Relations
Birmingham Public Library
Phone: (205) 226-3746 cell (205) 568-0067
Jefferson County Library Contact: Pat Ryan
Public Libraries in Jefferson County
Phone: (205) 226-3615 work
Free coupons, free library card exchange at Jefferson County libraries as part of National Library Week
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama –Is your library card worn out? Libraries in Birmingham and Jefferson County will be allow patrons to exchange library cards for free – waiving the usual replacement cost of $3 -- as part of National Library Week, Sunday, April 10 through Saturday, April 16.
The popular annual $5 Fine Coupon will also be available for printing from the website www.PublicLibrariesInJC.org . You can pick one up at any of the 19 locations of the Birmingham Public Library (BPL) system or any member of the Public Libraries of Jefferson County. See link to get the free coupon below: http://intranet.jclc.org/sharedresources/
National Library Week (April 10-16) celebrates the dynamic changes happening in today's libraries. The 2016 National Library Week theme, “Because Transformation is Essential to the Communities we Serve,” mirrors a multi-year public awareness campaign led by the American Library Association (ALA).
Designed to increase public awareness of the value, impact and services provided by libraries and library professionals, the Libraries Transform campaign showcases the critical role libraries play in communities across the country in today’s digital age.
This is a good week to check out the many ways Birmingham and Jefferson County libraries are providing a positive impact in the metro area by providing services such as free knitting classes, business workshops, Coloring for Adults, genealogy classes, free computer use, free Wi-Fi and other programs.
Here are just some of the services provided by libraries in Birmingham and Jefferson County:
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT BPL
- With one card, you can borrow or return books, audio books, DVDs and music from 40 library locations throughout Jefferson County.
- Download eBooks and eAudiobooks from the BPL and Jefferson County library websites for free. Choose from the 34,660 new popular titles or classics in our collection straight to your eReader or smart device.
- Advance your career! Discover job searching tools, resources and computer classes.
- Ace that test with Learning Express Library test preparation for SAT, GRE, ACT, GED, police and fire exams, plus many more.
- Make the honor roll. Research homework topics in a wide variety of online databases.
- Get free live one-to-one online tutoring help – go to Homework Alabama @ PublicLibrariesInJC.org - available 3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. for academic subjects and 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. for Job Search Assistance.
- Start a family tradition – Read – Learn – Play for free at story time for babies on up.
- Curious? Join a book club. Adults have loads of fun at library programs too!
- Access free WiFi
- New services including online or telephone library card renewal and expiration dates have been extended from one to two years.
For additional information about the programs and services of the Birmingham Public Library, visit our website at www.bplonline.org
and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter @BPL. The mission of Birmingham Public Library is to provide the highest quality library service to our citizens for life-long learning, cultural enrichment, and enjoyment. This system—with 19 locations and serving the community for 129 years—is one of the largest library systems in the southeast.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT Public Libraries in Jefferson County
The Public Libraries in Jefferson County, DBA Jefferson County Library Cooperative, Inc., is a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization that links the 40 public libraries throughout Jefferson County. These include 21 municipal libraries and the 19 locations of the Birmingham Public Library System. The mission of the Public Libraries in Jefferson County is to connect all citizens countywide by providing resources and community-building opportunities that inspire life-long learning. Visit our website at http://PublicLibrariesInJC.org