Birmingham Public Library
2100 Park Place
Birmingham, Alabama 35203
http://www.bplonline.org
East Lake Facebook
About

The East Lake Branch of the Birmingham Public Library began its life in a 25x50 foot room on the second floor of the East Lake Fire Station in 1914. In 1926, the land was purchased at #5 Oporto Madrid Boulevard from Sidney P. King at a cost of $10,000 for a new library building.

The Miller and Martin Architectural Firm was chosen to design a building along the same lines as the "new" Linn-Henley Research Library which opened in 1927. The completed East Lake Branch Library was a two-story, Georgian Revival structure with 8,000 square feet of usable space. It was built using the same stone and buff bricks as the current East Lake Fire Station next door. It opened its doors in 1928 close to three elementary schools (Barrett, Robinson and Kirby), Woodlawn High School and Howard College (now Samford University located in Homewood).

In 1937, the East Lake Branch was chosen to house the acclaimed Storybook Mural by Birmingham artist Carrie Hill. It was commissioned by the Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA). The WPA paid for the time and work of the artist while the Library paid for the canvas and paint. The 27'x 9' foot canvas mural depicts such characters as Little Red Riding Hood, Little Miss Muffett, Mother Goose and the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. The characters appear to be stepping out of a storybook and walking down a path similar to the "yellow brick road" in the Wizard of Oz. The artist, Carrie Hill, used her own likeness for the face of Mother Goose.

In the mid 1970's, fire and water damaged the 1937 mural located in the Children's Reading Room. John Bertalan, a Birmingham art conservator, restored the mural in 1993.

Due to changes in the services that the library provided, and the lack of space on the first floor of the building, a $450,000 renovation took place in 1996-97. The branch reopened its doors on Monday, February 10, 1997, and the public found that the stack area (where older books were kept) had been replaced with a staff office and a work area encased behind glass. It also included a ceramic tile area surrounding the oak circulation desk and a new color scheme for the walls, deriving its colors from the mural. The original oak furniture had been refinished and raised oak work stations had been added.

The most recent renovation of the East Lake Branch includes the installation of an elevator and foyer, additional storage space, new restrooms, an exterior emergency stairwell, as well as a much anticipated revamped auditorium and stage which have both been unused for thirty (30) years.

Explore
Links
Virtual Tour

Hours
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
9-6 9-6 9-6 9-6 9-6 9-1; 2-6 --
Contact

5 Oporto-Madrid Blvd. S
Birmingham, Alabama 35206-4800
(205)836-3341

Directions:
  • Take I-59 North to exit (#131)
  • Turn south.
  • Continue across 1st Avenue North.
  • Library 1 block on left.
Map

Branch Map

Fully Accessible to Wheelchairs

Page Last Modified: 1/23/2014 4:15 PM