Charles H. McCauley Associates
Charles H. McCauley (1893 – 1970) was born in Chicago and studied architecture at the University of Illinois. McCauley practiced architecture in Chicago before moving to Birmingham in 1919 where he worked for William Leslie Welton before opening his own practice in 1925. McCauley and his firm, Charles H. McCauley Associates, designed many important buildings in Birmingham including Temple Beth-El (1926), Medical Arts Building (1931), Birmingham City Hall (1950), Boutwell Auditorium Entry Pavilion (1957), U.S. Post Office and Vehicle Maintenance Facility (1968), and First National – Southern Natural (1968-1971, with Welton Becket & Associates). At the time of McCauley’s death in 1970, Charles H. McCauley Associates was one of the largest architectural practices in the South.
Scope and Content
This collection includes thirty-nine photographs showing construction of the downtown Birmingham United States Post Office and Mercy Hospital. The collection also includes a June 25, 1967, article from the Birmingham News describing the approved design for the post office.
Satterfield, Carolyn Green. Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama. Birmingham, Alabama: Lowry Printing, 1985. Prepared for the Jefferson County Historical Commission.
White, Marjorie Longenecker. Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham, Alabama: Birmingham Publishing Company. Publication of the Birmingham Historical Society and First National Bank of Birmingham.
Beiman, Irving. “Design OK’d for big, new post office.” Birmingham News 25 June 1967. File #1776.A1. McCauley, Charles H. Associates. Birmingham Public Library. Department of Archives and Manuscripts.
U.S. Post Office and Vehicle Maintenance Facility – Birmingham, Alabama. C.P. Ballenger, Owner – Charles H. McCauley Associates, Architects Project No. 3610-0308 Photo NO. 4.4 Date Dec 9, 1968.” File #1776.A9. McCauley, Charles H. Associates. Birmingham Public Library. Department of Archives and Manuscripts.