Industrial High School 1920

In 1899, the black community requested that the Board of Education establish a high school for black students. Dr. John Herbert Phillips approached Parker about serving as principal. In September, 1900, Industrial High School—dedicated to black students—opened on the second floor of the Cameron School. The number of students rose from 18 to 45 by the end of the school year. Parker emphasized practical instruction in woodworking, sewing, cooking, laundry work, mortis, hand carving, and drawing. His students also learned grammar, literature, and mathematics.