Policy And Guidelines
We have meeting room facilities available at many of our branch
locations. Please contact the nearest branch or Central Library for more information
concerning meeting room availability. The office hours for checking on the
availability of meeting rooms are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Take a virtual tour
of the meeting rooms available in the branches and Central Library.
Meeting Rooms Policy
Birmingham Public Library provides meeting rooms for use by community groups
and organizations for a nominal fee, when space is available. The primary
purpose of library meeting rooms is to serve the needs of library-sponsored
programs and services, and such functions shall always have priority. Library
meeting rooms are not available for commercial
ventures. Groups using library meeting rooms may not charge admission or request
donations, gratuities, or any type of monetary fees or charges for admission or
participation. Meetings may not be restricted and must be open to the general
public. Agreement and application forms must be turned in and
meeting room fees paid to the library, before the meeting rooms can be
Guidelines for Meeting Rooms Usage
- Application forms for use of library meeting rooms may be obtained at
all locations of BPL, where meeting rooms are available. The application
form must be completed in full and submitted to the library location where
the meeting is to be held at least seven (7) business days prior to the date
requested. The applicant must be 21 years of age, have a valid Alabama
Driver's License or State-issued ID, and a valid library card. If for an
organization, reservation must be made by a responsible member, age 21 or
over, who will see that all of the regulations are followed.
- Payment of a non-refundable fee is required at the time a reservation is
made. No space is to be considered confirmed until this fee is paid.
- In order to reschedule or transfer a reservation, cancellations must be
made at least three (3) business days in advance of a scheduled meeting. If these
conditions are not met, the fee will be forfeited and no rescheduling
- Meetings may not be restricted and must be open to the general public.
- Groups wishing to apply for a series of meetings may fill out one
application form in advance of the first meeting accompanied by a schedule
of future meeting dates and times. Fees for each meeting must be paid at the
time the application is submitted. Reservations will not be made for more
than one year in advance.
- Upon request, the library will provide appropriate aids and services
for persons with disabilities so that he/she may participate fully in
programs, services, and activities. Requests for use of special
accommodation equipment must be made upon the submission of application. Please
allow two (2) business days for the library to provide proper accommodation.
Availability of services depends upon location.
- Meeting rooms are reserved only for use during the operating hours of
the library location at which space is requested. Meetings must terminate
fifteen (15) minutes before the time of library closing. Meeting room use involving
food should end one (1) hour before the time of library closing. Event
organizers should have everything cleaned up and removed from the premises
thirty (30) minutes before closing.
- Rooms are assigned on a first come basis. The library reserves the right
to relocate a group within the library if circumstances warrant.
- Groups of individuals under the age 21 must have an adult sponsor in
attendance at their meetings at all times.
- Children must be supervised at all times. The library is not responsible
for children left unattended in the library while their parent or guardian is in
a meeting at the library.
- Excessive noise or disruption to the functions of the library is not
permitted. (See Birmingham Public Library Rules.)
- No pets are allowed in the library except service animals.
- When a severe weather warning is issued, the library staff will follow
evacuation procedures outlined in its Emergency Procedures Manual.
- Persons attending meetings are subject to all library rules and
regulations. Meetings may not be held at tables or seating areas of the
library designated for reading, research and study. The library may deny use
of meeting rooms to any group that fails to comply with these rules and
- If any light refreshments are served in the meeting rooms spaces, a $20
to $50 non-refundable surcharge is required
at the time of reservation. There are no kitchen facilities available.
- The library meeting rooms must be left in a clean and orderly condition.
Users must pay the cost for repairs for any damages to facilities or
equipment. The person signing the application form is considered the
responsible party for any damages caused while their group is using the
- Groups may not use the library as their mailing address, nor may they
state or imply that the library sponsors or endorses their meeting. Porter
services are not available.
- The library is not responsible for items left in its facilities.
Storage space is not available.
- No smoking is permitted in library buildings including entranceways,
hallways, and public restrooms.
- There will be no set ups outside of theater style.
Additional information can be found in the
Checklist for Meeting Room Use (pdf).
Meeting Rooms, Usage and Fees (Non-Refundable)
||Maximum Seating Capacity
||Over 100 people
A $20 to $50 non-refundable surcharge is required, if the user serves
Call the Administration Office at (205) 226-3610 for further
Agreement and Application Forms
Both forms must be completed and brought to the appropriate
Fee Structure: Rev.06/29/2010--Effective 07/01/2010
Meeting Rooms User Agreement Contract
Application For Use of Meeting